Saturday, July 12, 2008

She's getting big

The other day we (Em, Erin, Ben and I ) we in the backyard of our new house. Ben and I were doing yard work and the girls were playing in the sand box. Emma noticed that the girl next door was out on her swing set. Em just stopped and watched her for a bit. Eventually Abby (the girl next door) came to the fence. She is about three years older than Em. They chatted through the fence and eventually Abby asked Em to come over to her yard and play. Em came running over very excited and said "mommy can I play in that girls yard". Of course they played for hours. I sat on the steps of our deck for quite a bit watching Em play with Abby. There were a few times where I felt choked up, as if I were going to cry. This was the first time Em was asked by another kid to play, with out my involvement. No, my kid is not a loser without friends. But, if I really think about it I schedule her life. I set up play dates for her, usually with moms that are good friends of mine. She often plays with her cousin and sister or people we know from church. She is starting to meet other kids in our neighborhood and I don't have to help her. I don't think I am ready for this.

No comments: